Friday, September 08, 2006

Whole Foods - 365 sodas - Corn Allergy caution

Whole Foods, a store many of us use often to provide us with corn-free foods, has changed their 365 sodas to be corn-free or so they claim.

"Von,
Corn syrup has not been an ingredient in the 365 Everyday Value Canned Sodas (all flavors) for many years. The citric acid is sourced from citrus fruits. There is no corn in this product.
Thank you for your support of Whole Foods Market.
Christina|Whole Foods Market Private Label|
privatelabel.customerservice@wholefoods.com
Whole Foods Market| 550 Bowie St | Austin TX 78703|
phone 512.477.5566 x20020|fax:512.482.7650|
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products"

So being the doubter I always am, I wrote them again specifically asking about any corn in their natural flavors.

"Von,
The citric acid for our 365 colas is from citrus. There is 0.15 to 0.17 grams per 100 milliliter of citric acid in the sodas. This is about 0.5 or one half gram per can of soda
None of the flavors are distilled from corn alcohol.
I hope this answers your questions and enjoy the sodas!!
Jason Hays
Product Information Associate, Private Label
550 Bowie | Austin, TX 78703 | (p) 512.542.0581 | (f) 512.482.7581"

So they should be corn-free right? So many of us set about the next step of verifying corn-free status. Human Guinea Pigging.

I, myself, got brave and tried them. I tried the Cherry Vanilla flavor. I didn't like the taste much but for testing purposes I drank the whole can. After a few minutes, I started feeling funky. Then the corn reaction started setting in. I was (and still am) really regretting drinking the whole can.

Several others have also said they've reacted to this product. Avoiding Corn Forum - 365 sodas

If you can tolerate corn-derived citric acid, ethyl alcohols, etc. in other products, this product will most likely not be a problem for you. But for those of us who react to even the smallest drop of corn derivative, I would not consider the 365 sodas a dietary option.

No comments: